CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Banana Pancakes

Last week I had a lovely birthday dinner planned for my mom. My husband was going to grill, I was making her favorite pie and they were going to be coming over in about 2 hours. Then I get a text from my husband "Coming  home, I feel sick". So, of course I call the poor guy and begin to question his sickness. "So, on a scale of 1-10 how sick are you?", "What kind of sick are you? Like barfy sick?" You get the point. Needless to say, he WAS sick and I canceled dinner which left me kind of scrambling with 3 hungry kids. Since I don't grill (not my thing) that was out. I knew it needed to be GF for my little boy. I quickly decided on pancakes. Breakfast for dinner is always easy and this was a way for me to test another recipe with the Gluten Free All Purpose Flour we posted about a while back. Betty Crocker did it again with a Banana Pancake Recipe using all purpose flour.

Cue Music!

"But baby, you hardly even notice
When I try to show you
This song its meant to keep you
from doin' what you're supposed to
Like wakin' up to early
Maybe we could sleep in
I'll make you banana pancakes
Pretend like its the weekend now
And we could pretend it all the time
Can't you see that its just rainin'

There ain't no need to go outside."

Ok, ok I'll stop. But don't pretend like you weren't singing that the minute you read Banana Pancakes. If you weren't you should definitely check out Jack Johnson.  Anyway, these pancakes were Incredibly Delicious!
Here is the recipe.
Banana Pancakes
2 large eggs
2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 medium)
1/4 cup granulated or packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Beat eggs in medium bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons buttermilk. **Note** I didn't have buttermilk on hand so I used half and half. For that I would recommend you use less half and half, like 1 1/2 cups. I also added about 1 teaspoon vanilla.
  • Heat griddle to 375* **Note** Again, I didn't want to pull out my griddle so I just heat my pan on med-high heat. Grease griddle with butter if necessary. 
  • For each pancake, pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter from cup or pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.

 These were pretty easy, just like any other pancake recipe. Although, they did seem to cook a lot faster and were not super thick. I am not sure if that was because I used half and half or because of the GF flour mixture. Either way they were great and my kids gobbled them up! They also made a ton! Here is a tip: Whenever I make pancakes or waffles I make extra. Once they have cooled I throw them in a ziploc bag and freeze them. That way in the mornings all I have to do is either pop them in the toaster or microwave and have a yummy breakfast for the kids. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yum!! I love banana pancakes (the food and the song!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancakes! My daughter would love this recipe! Thank you for following my blog! I am following you back! Good luck on my Tangled giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Emma's Lunch. I'm your newest follower!

    Those pancakes look delicious! I have to try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOH! I'm excited to try this! My son is GFCFSF due to his Autism, so finding something that fits the bill is HARD! We can definitely work this, although I'll have to experiment with almond vs rice milk. hmm...
    I'm a new follower from ModerMomRedefined.blogspot.com =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pancakes sound great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    I found your site via a blog hop and am now a follower. Excited to get more gf recipes!
    http://frugalmomoftwo.com

    ReplyDelete